- This event has passed.
Kundalini Yoga with Sarah
September 18 @ 7:15 am – 8:30 am
A chakra Inspired yoga flow class offers an effective practice for bringing your energy centers into alignment. Find peace and liberation with this class that includes breath exercises, positive affirmation, chanting, meditation and aromatherapy. This vigorous class will be a great way to start your Saturday morning.
This class is appropriate for all levels of experience. Join us for one class or ALL seven classes in this series. Registration for this class is offered below and is highly recommended, but we do welcome walk-ins. Call us at 716-648-3400 if you have questions or just want to let us know you are coming 🙂
Benefits of Kundalini
Kundalini Yoga offers benefits for people of all ages. Some of these benefits are mental, whereas others are physical.
Reduced Stress and Anxiety
One study involving elementary and middle school students found that, after 10 weeks of Kundalini Yoga, students had “significantly improved” levels of stress and resilience.1Similar results have been found on the stress levels of adults.2
Another piece of research reports that this style of yoga may also be helpful for people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).3Other studies have connected Kundalini Yoga with lowering anxiety for people with generalized anxiety disorder.4
Improved Cognition and Mood
A 2017 study notes that, though cognitive decline is common as we grow older, a 12-week Kundalini Yoga program helps improve age-related cognitive impairment (both memory and executive functioning). And it does so both short and long-term.5
This study further found that Kundalini Yoga also has positive effects on mood. Subjects engaged in this yoga style had improvements in their feelings of depression and apathy, in addition to reporting higher levels of resilience.
If you want to be more flexible, Kundalini Yoga may help. One study involving 60 college women found that 16 weeks of 60-minute training sessions held six times per week “significantly improved” the participants’ flexibility.6
Increased flexibility can potentially help reduce back pain by stretching the muscles and ligaments. This is enhanced by yoga’s ability to increase circulation, allowing the body to get healing oxygen and nutrients to the pained area.7
About the Instructor:
Certified Health Coach and Yoga Instructor Sarah Waring came to yoga following a career as a Physician Assistant with a focus on spine and spinal cord injury. A love of Anatomy, movement and breath has naturally flowed into an appreciation for bio-individuality and a desire to empower others to get curious about their physical, subtle and causal bodies to live their highest and best lives. She received her RYT certification from Kripalu in 2020 and continues to study with numerous teachers. She teaches classes with YIN, Kundalini and Kripalu influences.
- Sarkissian M, Trent N, Huchting K, Singh Khalsa SB. Effects of kundalini yoga program on elementary and middle school students’ stress, affect, and resilience. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2018;39(3):210-6. doi:10.1097/DBP.0000000000000538
- Garcia-Sesnich J, Garrido Flores M, Hernandez Rios M, Gamonal Aravena J. Longitudinal and immediate effect of Kundalini Yoga on salivary levels of cortisol and activity of alpha-amylase and its effect on perceived stress. Int J Yoga. 2017;10(2):73-80. doi:10.4103/ijoy.IJOY_45_16
- Jindani F, Turner N, Khalsa SB. A yoga intervention for posttraumatic stress: a preliminary randomized controlled trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:351746. doi:10.1155/2015/351746
- Gabriel MG, Curtiss J, Hofmann SG, Khalsa SB. Kundalini Yoga for generalized anxiety disorder: an exploration of treatment efficacy and possible mechanisms. Intl J Yoga Ther. 2018;28(1):97-105. doi:10.17761/2018-00003
- Eyre H, Siddarth P, Acevedo B, et al. A randomized controlled trial of Kundalini yoga in mild cognitive impairment. Intl Psychogeriatrics. 2017;29(4):557-67. doi:10.1017/S1041610216002155
- Rajam A, Saradha M, Nagarasan K. Influence of asana and Simplified Kundalini Yoga on flexibility of college woman students. Int J Yoga Allied Sci. 2017;6(9):114-122.
- Sugumar D, Rajam A. Effect of Simplified Kundalini Yoga (SKY) meditation and exercise on back pain among the women patients. Aayvagam an Int J Multidiscipl Res. 2013;1(4).